Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sometimes I want to punch myself in the face.

Okay, so sometimes I get into these little depressions where I beat myself up over how I always fail at making friends when I have the best opportunities to make them.

For example, in high school there were these two girls who shared a locker right next to mine. The first time they talked to me one of their friends was complimenting me on my Homestarrunner bag. After I introduced myself in typical Sarah fashion (stuttering and basically failing at saying everything I wanted to say correctly) I pretty much ran away and never said a word to them again because I was so embarrassed and felt like a total social failure.

But the point is this; I didn't need to beat myself up about it so badly. Sure I was awkward at first, but I should have given myself a second chance. Instead of saying to myself, "oh that was horrible I'll never speak to them again," I should have said,"okay it didn't go so well that time, but maybe it'll be better the next time I see them." I should have just said "Hello" to them whenever I saw them instead of ignoring them completely. That's the problem with me; whenever I really REALLY want to be friends with someone I always end up completely ignoring them.

You would think it would be easy to just say HELLO to someone. But I always make it so hard for some reason. I wish I could see these situations as simply as they really are instead of blowing them out of proportion.

So, non-existent readers, I ask you this: how do YOU make friends?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am ALSO a total social failure! Except for on the internet. I like the internet. It's like socializing for hermits.

I have that problem a lot, too. ESPECIALLY with guys. I'll just pretend to ignore them for forever, while secretly stalking them. And then it becomes not-so-secretly stalking them, and they get freaked out. Either way, we never become friends.

Ohhhh wellllll.

ALSO
HOMESTARRUNNER = AWESOME
waaave o' babies!